Divorced parents still must fulfill their responsibilities to their kids, and in my view, children should have rights in divorced families. Here is my Children’s Bill of Rights in Divorce. If you can give your children these freedoms, you will have gone a long way toward filling your responsibilities as a parent.
EVERY CHILD WHOSE PARENTS DIVORCE HAS:
- The right to love and be loved by both of your parents without feeling guilt or disapproval.
- The right to be protected from your parents’ anger with each other.
- The right to be kept out of the middle of your parents’ conflict, including the right not to pick sides, carry messages, or hear complaints about the other parent.
- The right not to have to choose one of your parents over the other.
- The right not to have to be responsible for the burden of either of your parents’ emotional problems.
- The right to know well in advance about important changes that will affect your life; for example, when one of your parents is going to move or get remarried.
- The right to reasonable financial support during your childhood and through your college years.
- The right to have feelings, to express your feelings, and to have both parents listen to how you feel.
- The right to have a life that is a close as possible to what it would have been if your parents stayed together.
- The right to be a kid.
ASK FOR HELP
In addition to Dr. Emery’s list of rights for children with divorced parents, it’s important to remain empathetic to your children and tune in as a parent. Listen to their problems or concerns and let them know you understand. Let them know they are not alone and that you are there to help them.
Whether you are the one who wants the divorce or the one who is having to respond to your spouse wanting the divorce both situations have one thing in common, the marriage is ending but not the relationships with your children. Our experienced attorneys are here to help you with your divorce. Call for a consultation with one of our divorce attorneys and get the answers to all your questions. Contact C.E. Borman & Associates at 979-846-4090 for an appointment.